Necrotizing Fasciitis, a Disease Transmitted by an Insect


This disease left a woman without legs since they had to be amputated

Insect bites can become very serious. Therefore, before one, it is always advisable to go to a medical center to be evaluated immediately. This way you can assess the damage it may cause. An example of a disease that can transmit an insect bite is necrotizing fasciitis.

Because of an insect bite he had to amputate his legs

Susan Buttery is a British woman who loves gardening. In 2013 he suffered a bite on the head of an insect, although he ignored it. She thought it would be an allergy and that in a few days it would be better.

However, this did not happen. Every day he began to feel worse until he decided to go to the doctor. There he was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis. This is an infection that consumes skin tissues. During the time she was admitted, Susan had to undergo 60 interventions in order to eliminate the dead skin that had been infected by the bacteria.

What came next was gangrene. Due to the clinical picture, the 8 months she was hospitalized, 3 weeks of which she was in an induced coma, the doctors made the decision to amputate the damaged parts.

Although he was told at first that his toes would be amputated, they eventually amputated his legs from the knees down and the tips of the fingers of both hands.

Thanks to his determination, willpower, much suffering and prosthetic legs, Susan has walked again. He even goes to the gym twice a week.

What is necrotizing fasciitis infection?

This bacterial infection damages the tissue that is below the dermis and the organs and muscles that surround it. Although it is not very common, it is very serious.

In some cases, necrotizing fasciitis is known as the disease eats meat. Normally, the bacteria enter the person’s body through an insect bite as in the case of Susan. Also for a wound, a cut or a scratch.

Share This:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here