Discover what it is for and how to prepare this ingredient, taking advantage of all its health benefits.
The egg is widely used for a tasty and protein-rich breakfast and an essential presence in the kitchen for those who like to cook. Have you ever thought about the amount of eggshell you throw in the trash every week? Making eggshell flour can be a good solution for this waste.
Did you know that it is composed of 90% calcium, in addition to strontium, fluoride, magnesium, selenium and potassium? A glass of whole milk has 290 mg. of this mineral, while «barely 2.7 grams of the powder provide the recommended daily amount of this mineral for an adult», according to a study in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.
Benefits of eggshell flour
The texture of the eggshell may not make you want to eat it. The solution to this problem is quite simple! Turn the shell into powder with the help of a crusher. So you can mix it with food, taking advantage of all its benefits.
1. Strengthens bones and teeth
Calcium is essential to strengthen bones and teeth because it is responsible for much of its composition, where its lack can cause diseases such as osteoporosis .
Also the other minerals present, such as magnesium and potassium, are important for the fixation of calcium in them, as well as for their elimination through urine.
2. Keeps pressure under control
Potassium helps control blood pressure by actively participating in the salt exchange between the cell and the environment. Lack of potassium causes the cell to retain more sodium than normal, which increases blood pressure.
In addition to that, eggshell flour will help regulate cardiac function by properly dilating blood vessels, making circulation more effective.
3. Help control diabetes
Calcium, abundant in eggshell flour, helps control blood glucose, since it is essential for metabolizing it, thus relieving the work of the pancreas.
This happens only when combined with vitamin D, which is not produced naturally by the body, and must be acquired through supplementation or simple exposure to the sun.
4. Relieves premenstrual syndrome
In the case of premenstrual tension, egg meal can act on various fronts, helping to relieve colic, swelling throughout the body, pain, mood swings and that absurd tiredness that precedes the first day.
It is essential at this stage because the increase in estrogen, a hormone that reaches its peak in menstruation, reduces the amount of calcium, damaging the body.
How to do it at home
You can also save and enjoy the eggshells at home making flour, which is safe to eat and extremely nutritious. Remember that all supplements must be accompanied by a doctor!
According to the study mentioned above, “microbial contamination is not a factor that restricts the use of eggshell by humans because it is possible to obtain eggshell powder safe from the hygienic and sanitary character boiling in water and drying at 50ºC for 24 hours ”, on an industrial scale.
At home, the process is simpler and has no excuse for not doing so. See here how to do it:
Eggshell: 12 units.
- Start by placing the shells in a strainer. You will have to disinfect them very well with water. The inner membrane of the shell should not be damaged during this process. Then soak in sodium hypochlorite for 30 minutes, wash and place in a pan.
- Put the shells in boiling water for 10 minutes. Cover the pan and make sure the shells are completely covered with water.
- Preheat the oven to 90 ° C. Remove the shell from the water and let it dry in the strainer. Put them in a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes or until they start to turn yellow.
- Let cool. Pour into a blender to puree. Eat the flour mixed with food or vitamins. To eat in its purest form. The recommended amount is half a teaspoon daily.
Important: Remember that the data presented in this article does not replace the opinion of a specialist.